Wednesday, January 17, 2007

SPD Struggles

I had to redo this post. I felt I needed to clarify why we were struggling with our son. I didn't want him to appear as a bad child and I think the way this post was previously did just that.

I have not been on here much the past few days. Been frustrated while dealing with my son. He has Sensory Processing Disorder and has been dealing with it so well over the past year with the help of home care and occupational therapy. But the past few weeks he has seemed to regress. At first I thought he was just being difficult. But looking back over the past few months I realized he has had to deal with a lot of changes. And for an SPD child that creates tons of anxiety and issues. Moving, daddy being gone for a couple of weeks, long road trips, a transition from vacation mode back to school , a new sibling on the way, changing bed rooms, and moving to a new big boy bed have ALL occured in his life recently. And we have had some stress with this pregnancy and with some military issues in our lives as well. I am sure Bubba (as I'll call him) has sensed that too. All of that is enough to cause even a normal 4 year old to experience some anxiety. So we have a new game plan from his occupational therapist and it has worked great so far. On Thursday I will give his teacher some questions for her to answer from his OT (occupational therapist) and with those questions his OT will develop some suggestions for the classroom as well. I was very discouraged about all of it at first. Wondering why he had made so much progress only to go backwards, but now I feel much better. I feel equipped with some new things to help my son deal with his hidden disability and to cope with all the current anxieties he is facing. Not an easy task with SPD, but it can be done. And he is so worth it.

Don't know what Sensory Processing Disorder is?

Here are some helpful sites for information. Knowledge is power when it comes to things like this. If you educate yourself on it then who knows who you might be able to help. And maybe the next time you see a mother struggling against all odds to put a coat on her child (who hates things touching his skin) or a mom trying stay calm in the middle of a public meltdown (from sensory overload, which you perceive as a tantrum from lack of discipline) or any number of unusal situations that occur from SPD, you'll be able to sympathize and realize that not all disablities are blaringly obvious with physical signs. Because to these kids and their families and teachers, this disability is VERY real. So educate yourself:

www.sensory-processing-disorder.com
www.sensorynation.com
www.sensoryint.com
www.sinetwork.com

Or simply Google the terms: Sensory Processing Disorder or Sensory Integration Dysfunction

Thankful Things Day 4:
Today I am thankful for...

1) That adorable Clorox commercial with the two boys playing in the mud! It makes me smile every time I see it. My son thinks it's absolutely hilarious too which makes it even funnier to watch.

2) That I am not the only Mother who has struggled with disciplining her child who has Sensory Processing Disorder.

3) The cute, cute, cute, chatter that comes from my little girl!

4) That the hard times in life usually pass and the good times always outshine them.

5) That my husband is home and not in the desert right now. I always need him around and I always miss him when he is gone, but right now I desperately need him here.

6) For the web sites and information out there on SPD. And Barbara, his occupational therapist. If I didn'thave things to reference too when dealing with my son's daily issues I would be lost and so would he.

7) That even though my son struggles with his disorder, having SPD also means he is acutely aware of his surroundings and that creates some great conversations with him and some amazing observations from him!


I have slipped a little in my Bible reading the past few days as well. And right now it is needed big time. It's always needed, but I have needed the Lord's guidance on all of this chaos that is my son right now. Getting back on track though. The one verse that keeps playing in my head for some reason (actually I know the reason, ha!) is:

Philippians 4:6
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God.


Others that I just found with a quick word search that also deal with anxiousness:

Psalm 94:19
When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul.

Psalm 139:23,24
Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.

Here are some verses on anger that I need plastered to my forehead. I have to remind myself that my son can only control so much of his frustrations right now with his SPD. It does me NO good to be angry with him when he has a meltdown. Loving, calm, patient, correction when he is calm is MUCH more effective. And even better is using his coping techniques to head it off before it even starts. Parenting is tough enough without an added disablilty, it tries my patience and my strength, but he is SO worth it.

James 1:19,20
This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger; for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.

Ephesians 6:4
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

Ephesians 4:31
Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.

Proverbs 14:29
He who is slow to anger has great understanding, But he who is quick-tempered exalts folly.

Proverbs 15:1
A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger.

Proverbs 15:18
A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, But the slow to anger calms a dispute.

Proverbs 16:32
He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, And he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.

Ephesians 4:26
Be angry, and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger.

Ecclesiastes 7:9
Do not be eager in your heart to be angry, For anger resides in the bosom of fools.

Ecclesiastes 11:10
So, remove grief and anger from your heart and put away pain from your body, because childhood and the prime of life are fleeting.

Okay that's it I promise. It felt so good to do that just now. Just read and took it all in. Typing it out helps it stick too. So it was more for me than you. I am going to print all of these out and place them around my house (along with some verses on patience), seriously, I am. I think I will look some up on the goodness and faithfulness of God as well. The combination of all these around my house can NOT be a bad thing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just curious as to what symptoms your son showed that made you investigate the possibility of SPD?

Anonymous said...

There is no way I could list them all here. There is a symptoms check list on the first web site I have listed in the post. Out of the list of 225 symptoms my son exhibits more than half of those symptoms. We have known something wasn't quite right since birth. Do you have a child with SPD? Or do you think your child may have it? The web sites I listed are VERY helpful. And the first site I mentioned is the most informative. Thanks for asking!

Debbie Doughty said...

I plan on checking that website out too. My youngest daughter is in grad school studying to become an Occupational Therapist and would love to work with children...