Almost all contraceptives work in three ways.
1) prevents ovulation (most people know this)
2) prevents fertilization by thickening the cervical mucous and preventing sperm from entering
3) prevents implantation of a FERTILIZED egg by creating an unfavorable environment
Did you know about that third one? If you ask your doctor if your pill causes an abortion he will say no. He/she can say this because the AMA defines pregnancy by implantation. But as a Christian when do you believe life begins? Most will say (including myself) that life begins at conception. Therefore preventing the implantation of a fertilized egg (all parts of a tiny human life) causes an early abortion. They have no way of proving how often this occurs. They believe it is rare. However, as a believer, I cannot in good conscience take a medication that I know could possibly end a life that my husband and I created. That is not what God intends.
So what do we use you ask? [ UPDATED TO ADD: Our convictions on birth control as a whole have changed significantly since this post. We have allowed God full control of ALL areas of our lives, and this includes our family size. See the post titled "Stranger in this Land" for more of our views on this. ] I am blessed to know my body very well and for us a natural way works best. It's something that is simple and can be used to plan pregnancy or prevent it without any medications. I simply keep very close track of my cycles. I know when I ovulate based on what cycle day I am on and based on certain other symptoms like basal body temperature and cervical mucous. I really don't spend much time on it AT ALL. I just make a mental note of the symptoms and mark my calendar. We simply use over the counter condoms when I am fertile (usually use them a week out of the month) and don't worry about when I am not. (Sorry if this is too much information for some!) It is effective. Very effective. So effective that they are teaching the method in third world countries and it is free other than a calendar and thermometer. It just takes some basic education about how your body works. See this link to find out more. It is called the Symptothermal Method. It is not to be confused with the Rhythm Method or those similar to it. It is much more effective! Up to 98% when used diligently!! Reason being is that it combines the cervical mucous method, basal body temperature method, and calendar days methods together for a very effective, simple, and all natural way to plan or prevent pregnancy. Another method that is all natural and almost as effective (up to 95%) is the Standard Days Method and it can be used with a simple set of beads for tracking purposes. See this link. You can find out even more about them and purchase the beads here.
Anyway, I think educating ourselves is key. And having the knowledge to stand our ground is so important. I just wanted to provide some useful information. I am discovering many others don't know about this and I think it's definitely something worth educating ourselves on as believers. As a side note I tried to find a list of contraceptives in pill form or otherwise that do not work in this way and I cannot find a list of those that don't. I have yet to find one that doesn't, but I am not saying they aren't out there. If any one knows of a link to a list like this please send me the link. I will say that IUDs are a definite one that works in this way almost all the time in case some are wondering about the IUDs that don't use hormones. The copper ones automatically create an unfavorable environment. That is the number one way in which they work. Any new information on all this is always welcome so just send me an e-mail or leave a comment. Those opposing this are free to leave a comment as well to engage in a FRIENDLY debate where we can discuss things like adults. Any rude, immature, mean, or disrespectful comments will be removed.





No comments:
Post a Comment